Thursday, April 12, 2007

Vietnamese (?) Tangi

An anonymous commenter wrote a couple of days ago stating that Tangis are made in Honolulu, not Vietnam. I mentioned that they are made in Vietnam a day or two prior.

My comment was based on what I was told by a sales clerk at Ukulele House in Honolulu last August. Considering the price and the quantity of Tangis available in Honolulu, I had little reason to doubt the sales clerk.

I have checked the Tangi website and have found no information on where they do make their ukuleles. Since they offer custom products, it might be safe to guess those may be manufactured in Hawaii. However, I wrote to them directly and asked where their factory was. They wrote back and gave me their "location" but there was no mention of where the factory is--particularly for the non-custom products.

There are manufacturers that have their main office in one place but the bulk of their product is actually put together elsewhere.

Given conflicting information, it seems safe for me to say that I don't really know where they are made.

No comments: